No Fancy Name
Sunday, February 06, 2005
i may deeply regret doing this, but...
[via cheeky prof]

Given that my parents read this blog, if I got any of these wrong I'm sure they'll leave some sort of embarrassing comment. Not like confirming any of these things isn't embarrassing enough.

You Were a Little Girl in the 70s If...
- You wore a rainbow shirt that was half-sleeves, and the rainbow went up one sleeve, across your chest, and down the other. // Not that I can recall...

- You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. // Definitely yes on the easy bake (those are SO COOL) and I do remember something very snoopy snow cone-like. If it was blue and white and there was colored sweet liquid involved and the ice came out the front, then yes.

- You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. // Oh yes, I did.

- You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. // I think I did. Definitely owned something with a banana seat, and streamers. I think.

- You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. // Well, duh! I rollerskated a lot as a kid. The Roller's Roost was the name of our skate rink. I never did master backwards-skating all that well, and spent a lot of time at the rink on skates but playing the Star Wars arcade game.

- You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) // I did not.

- You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island. // Nope.

- You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. // I do believe so.

- You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamil" because your Mom was sick of braiding your hair. People sometimes thought you were a boy. // Yes to all cuts and reasons.

- Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. // Nope. I believe my millennium Falcon was my most prized possession.

- You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. // I believe so, for all three.

- You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. // Hell yeah!

- You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits. // No.

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. // No. We had large rocks and the woods, and a pool.

- You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. // No.

- You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. // No, but my mom did.

- You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olsen! // I did not want to BE Laura Ingalls, but I did watch all the shows and I still watch them on the Hallmark channel to this day. Really. I also hated Nellie Olsen, appropriately.

- You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink. // Nope.

- Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. // I believe I was both winged and feathered, but I did not care if it was pretty and I didn't keep a comb in my pocket.

- You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, BlueberryMuffin and Huckleberry Pie. // Yes I do.

- You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. // I'm going to say yes on this one because while I think I had a Muppets lunchbox (I loved the Muppets so, still do), if I didn't then I had some other very cool metal lunchbox. I always had rad lunchboxes.

- You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. // No. I didn't particularly care for either Bo or Luke. I was more into Johnny Gage and Roy DeSoto from Emergency 51, thank you very much.

- Every now and then "It's a Hard Knock Life" from the movie, "Annie" will pop into your brain and you can't stop singing it the whole day. // Yes, this does indeed happen.

- YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! // I had EVERY SINGLE ONE. Every one. Sigh.

- It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! // No.

- You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Rick Springfield?" // I had a magic 8-ball, but I didn't ask it that.

- You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. // Maybe "Fame," maybe. I mostly listened to The Beatles.

- You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. // All of the above. I was also decent at cross-stitch and rug hooking.

- You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! // Yes on shrinky-dinks and iron-ons, but no kittens.

- You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. // yep.

- You couldn't wait to get the free animal poster that came when you ordered books from the Weekly Reader book club. Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing. // I was a big fan of the Weekly Reader, but didn't care about the poster.

- You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.) // DIDN'T EVERYONE???

- You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics. // yes...

- You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. // Yes on all counts.

- You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. // No.

- You had a Big Wheel with a brake on the side, and a Sit-n-Spin. // Sure did!

- You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. // I did.

- You spent all your allowance on smurfs and stickers for your sticker album! // Yes, but also Star Wars figures, so DON'T JUDGE ME.

That was therapeutic.

go to main page







 



ME-RELATED
job / books / new blog

ARCHIVES
04/04 · 05/04 · 06/04 · 07/04 · 08/04 · 09/04 · 10/04 · 11/04 · 12/04 · 01/05 · 02/05 · 03/05 · 04/05 · 05/05 · 06/05 · 07/05 · 08/05 · 09/05 · 10/05 · 11/05 · 12/05 · 01/06 · 02/06 · 03/06 · 04/06 · 05/06 · 06/06 · 07/06 · 08/06 · 09/06 · 10/06 · 11/06 · 12/06 · ???


CREATIVE COMMONS

Creative Commons License
All blog content licensed as Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike.