No Fancy Name
Thursday, May 12, 2005
"I'm gonna let it ring to Jesus / 'Cause I know he loves me too"

In a startling change of events, my friends and I went to a show, in a different city, one which required planning ahead. Amazing. I even played hooky from class.

The plan was to meet at my buddies' house at 5pm and then drive up, meet other friends for food at 6pm, then see the show (8pm). Except I was 20 minutes late, then they got stuck doing something for work and then we got stuck in local traffic to the point where we didn't get on the freeway until ten til six. No worries—the parking gods smiled on us, we parked on the street a block away from the club and met other friends at a lovely (cheap!) family-owned Mexican restaurant (Don Ramon's, 11th & Howard). I'll spare you the details of our pre-show conversations, because they don't work out of context at all, although I'll just say that have some of the funniest friends in the entire world.

So anyway, the show. It was very good. Very very good. Then again, I have a soft spot for drone-y post-punk girl-fronted alt-rock. Bonus points if cellos or actual bagpipe drones are worked into the CD, but Amy Ray doesn't use either. I'm not holding it against her.

AR's second CD, Prom is a concept album, the "concept" being (and I quote, because I am too lazy to do this on my own) the "exploration of the dance between gender and sexuality, man and woman, youth and adulthood, authority and rebellion...in the context of high school life [more]." Yep, that. The CD is worth it just for the pictures.

Unlike her first solo CD, Stag, I like all the songs on Prom (to varying degrees, of course, but there aren't any that I skip). Here are two freely-available MP3s:

- Put It Out For Good, my fourth-favorite song on the CD

- Driver Education, which is a fun song but falls at the bottom of my rankings of the songs on the CD (there are only 10 and none of them suck, so my rankings really mean nothing)

But my favorite on the CD is "Let it Ring" [here's an MP3], lyrics below:

When you march stand up straight.
When you fill the world with hate
Step in time with your kind and
Let it ring

When you speak against me
Would you bring your family
Say it loud pass it down and
Let it ring

Let it ring to Jesus 'cause he sure'd be proud of you
You made fear an institution and it got the best of you
Let it ring in the name of the one that set you free
Let it ring

As I wander through this valley
In the shadow of my doubting
I will not be discounted
So let it ring

You can cite the need for wars
Call us infidels or whores
Either way we'll be your neighbor
So let it ring

Let it ring
in the name of the man that set you free
Let it ring

And the strife will make me stronger
As my maker leads me onward
I'll be marching in that number
So let it ring

I'm gonna let it ring to Jesus
Cause I know he loves me too
And I get down on my knees and I pray the same as you
Let it ring, let it ring
'Cause one day we'll all be free
Let it ring

go to main page






 



ME-RELATED
job / books / new blog

ARCHIVES
04/04 · 05/04 · 06/04 · 07/04 · 08/04 · 09/04 · 10/04 · 11/04 · 12/04 · 01/05 · 02/05 · 03/05 · 04/05 · 05/05 · 06/05 · 07/05 · 08/05 · 09/05 · 10/05 · 11/05 · 12/05 · 01/06 · 02/06 · 03/06 · 04/06 · 05/06 · 06/06 · 07/06 · 08/06 · 09/06 · 10/06 · 11/06 · 12/06 · ???


CREATIVE COMMONS

Creative Commons License
All blog content licensed as Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike.