No Fancy Name
Friday, June 24, 2005
sometimes it's just that easy
At By the Bayou, John has a post about explaining unusual things to kids. The context of his post is explaining things to curious kids when a Pride parade happens upon their town and the family is out and about.

John concludes his post with:
The other is one day in Provincetown years ago. It was a typically summer day, Commercial Street packed with people. As will often happen on any summer in Provincetown, a seven foot tall drag queen in Cher getup came whizzing down the street on a skateboard howling, "Do you belie-ee-ee-ee-ee-eeve in love? I really don't think you're strong enough."

Whoosh. She disappeared into the crowd. Behind me I heard a child's voice ask, "Mommy, what was that?"

Dramatic pause. Mommy replied, "Um.. that was um... a clown, honey."

Child: "Oh, cool. Can we get ice cream?"

Sometimes these things just aren't that hard.
He's right.

Not to compare my bestest buds to seven-feet-tall drag queens (because they're not), but it reminds me of a very cute exchange a few years ago. My buddies, I'll just call them Mary and Joan, have a kid who used to play baseball. We were all sitting in the bleachers at a game when the wee brother of a teammate was sitting with Mary (she's a kid magnet, really) and he was prattling on as four year olds do and he stopped all of a sudden and said to her, "Where's your husband?"

I sat there thinking "shit shit shit shit shit" and was very thankful I was only a bystander to the conversation and wasn't actually participating in it, because I wouldn't have known what to say. Mary, wise one that she is, said "I don't have a husband. I have a Joan." Points to Joan. Little boy looks at Joan. Joan casts a wary glance around and waves back. Kid says "Oh. Ok!" and goes about his merry way. A few years later and he still adores Mary, and her Joan.

Yep, sometimes it's just that easy.

[settle down, Joan]





 



ME-RELATED
job / books / new blog

ARCHIVES
04/04 · 05/04 · 06/04 · 07/04 · 08/04 · 09/04 · 10/04 · 11/04 · 12/04 · 01/05 · 02/05 · 03/05 · 04/05 · 05/05 · 06/05 · 07/05 · 08/05 · 09/05 · 10/05 · 11/05 · 12/05 · 01/06 · 02/06 · 03/06 · 04/06 · 05/06 · 06/06 · 07/06 · 08/06 · 09/06 · 10/06 · 11/06 · 12/06 · ???


CREATIVE COMMONS

Creative Commons License
All blog content licensed as Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike.